Saturday, January 2, 2016

Cheap and Easy Breakfast Sandwiches!

Breakfast the easy way


Before anyone gets any ideas... this is not my recipe!!! I am frequently on Pinterest and have seen this pin on numerous occasions. I have tried a lot of recipes on Pinterest and a lot of the time they are flops. So naturally I had to try this quick and easy recipe! Rob works early in the morning so I wanted to make something that would last and be easy to heat up in the morning. The original recipe comes from Macheesmo- Cooking with Confidence. This is a great food blog, I highly recommend it!

So let's get right into it! It took me about 20 minutes of prep time. The recipe makes 12 sandwiches so in reality, you're saving so much time in the end. 
The whole recipe really is genius. These egg cups fit perfectly on English muffins and can be customized by adding in what you like to eat!
For my egg cups I added baby spinach, ground sausage, and cheese. I also spiced my eggs up because Rob loves spicy food!



I love finding recipes that are affordable and can stretch over a few meals. These days, they are hard to come by. What I love about this is that it's also healthy. It's packed with protein and veggies. You can't beat that!


Displaying 20160102_151358.jpg
I also had most of the ingredients already in my kitchen. For me breakfast can become very repetitive. Cereal, toast, eggs, and repeat. Sometimes I am so put off by the thought of having to eat breakfast,  I skip it completely- not a good idea!



Once I had the sausage done, I got right into cracking 12 eggs. Which was a lot more enjoyable that it probably should have been! I added some salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning to spice it up a bit. I was out of hot sauce unfortunately! 
Another big step to this is greasing up your muffin tin with butter. The original recipe specifically asks to use this rather that vegetable spray. I used a stick and went inside each cup. I even put butter on my finger and got into all the edges. 




Once your muffin tin is nice and greased up, add the baby spinach! I took off the stems and depending on their size, I put 3-4 leaves per cup.


Once the spinach was in place I took a 1/4 measuring cup and scooped in the eggs. It worked perfectly with the measuring cup and didn't make a mess. I then added the sausage crumble- a generous amount. Then topped then with some cheese. 





Ta-da!! Right out of the oven!! Don't tell me these don't look absolutely delicious! They smelled so good and mouth watering. The best part? They popped right out of the tin! No fuss at all. Definitely use the butter. 
Now you can wrap them up and put them in the freezer. All you have to do is put one in the microwave and then toast up the English muffin. Easy, cheap, and so yummy!!

Let me know if you guys try this recipe! Also make sure to check out Macheesmo's blog! 

Prep time: 20 minutes. 
Bake time: 20 minutes.
All together: 40 minutes.
Ingredients: 
  • 12 eggs (scrambled)
  • baby spinach (roughly 2 cups)
  • 1/2 lb of ground sausage
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 6-8 ounces of shredded cheese
  • 12 English muffins
  • salt and pepper (optional: seasonings of your choice)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
Scramble the 12 eggs and add spices in a large bowl.
Cook the ground sausage.
Grease the muffin tin with butter.
Place 3-4 spinach leaves in the muffin tin.
Take a 1/4 measuring cup and fill each cup 3/4 of the the way full.
Add the sausage pieces.
Top with cheese.
Cook the egg cups for 20 minutes.
Let them cool for 3 minutes before taking out of the muffin tin.
Let them cool fully before you place them in the freezer.
ENJOY!

Feel free to add whatever you like to these egg cups- ham, bacon, chives etc. Mix it up and make different cups!








Displaying 20160102_151358.jpg
Displaying 20160102_151358.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment