Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wholesome Wednesday

Wholesome: conducive to or suggestive of good health and physical well-being.
I would like to be wholesome. But I don't just want to have a physical well-being, I want serenity. 


Growing up Catholic I learned many prayers and though I am not a religious person these days, I still find comfort in them. I especially enjoy this prayer because often with anxiety comes worries and hopelessness of the future. Its something that is unattainable and we cannot control it. The only thing we can do is make everyday count and trust ourselves to make the best decisions for us. I often feel like I'm floating in the ocean. And in this giant ocean I am drifting about my life. I don't know whats coming, big waves that will try and knock me over and drown me, smaller waves that produce meaningful experiences, or stagnant waters. I am constantly being pulled by the current and I have to trust that I am going in the right direction. I can't control the waves, just how I to react to them.
As far as what that current is, I don't know. Some people believe our lives are already planned out for us by God and others think we create our own destinies.  I believe that its a combination of both. I was put in this specific spot in my own ocean and its only going in one direction. But, I have an entire ocean to swim in. I have space for my decisions but there are things that I cannot not change. And things that I can. That is why this is an important prayer. 
Anyone living with a mental illness has to find the courage in them to ask for help, talk to friends. and not let people make you feel ashamed of who you are because at the end of the day, we are who we are. And no one chooses to struggle the way we do.
I recently found these cartoon version of mental illness monsters by Toby Allen. I thought they were pretty amazing and thought that I would share a couple of them.

Anxiety

Social Anxiety

Depression

I think they are beautiful and accurately depict what its like to live with my demons in my head.
They are hurtful and painful but they are also such a big part of who I am today so I like that they are depicted as creatures of the mind.
You can find more of his artwork here:
 http://zestydoesthings.tumblr.com/

Heres to a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment